Part 4: Chapter 3 – Day 4: Heaven’s Weaving Revealed

Welcome to Day 4 of Part 4’s Chapter 3 of Arise and Shine. Today, Bettie is bringing forward the fourth free will offering of blue thread.

There are times when we don’t realize that the blue thread of Heaven has been joining our lives with others until many years later. It’s only in the pausing and looking back that we can see the shining of Heaven as God’s Holy Spirit gives us a small glimpse of His presence among us. Such was the case with my dear friend and her English Nana.

We became Mom-friends as we walked our young kids to school every day. But we became heart-friends as we shared the struggles we each were facing. She wasn’t used to someone like me who brought the Lord into all of my moments. I wasn’t used to someone like her who loved me so unconditionally.

And when her British Nana came to visit, we all shared our love for tea together, lingering long while the cream swirled in our cups. Her Nana rejoiced to find another Jesus follower who loved the old hymns. We chattered and reminisced as the rest of the family sat silently by.

Nana’s health tottered precariously during her next visit, and hospice services were called into their home. I hoped I wasn’t overstepping my bounds as I felt an urgency to write out the lyrics to our favorite hymn and carried it with me to visit her.

Her eyes fluttered open when I said I had brought a hymn to share. “Will you sing it to me?” she quietly asked. As the tune came weakly through my tears, I witnessed a hush come over my spirit. The veil between the now and the not yet was swept away for those moments, and I felt Heaven was so much nearer than I had ever realized.

Nana stepped across that veil not long afterwards, and it was only a few months later that I was facing that same crossing with my own father. Nana’s passing had prepared me for glimpsing Heaven with my Dad.

But it wasn’t until I recently paused and heard the sweet words of my dear friend, that I glimpsed the thread of Heaven that had woven us all together in Christ. My friend shared how my words had pointed her to look up and find how deeply Jesus loved her. And I shared with her how her friendship had come at a time in my life when I desperately needed to be reminded of Heaven’s deep gift of loving.

And woven throughout was the love of a Nana who rejoiced to share her favorite hymn with those she loved:

BLESSED ASSURANCE by Fanny Crosby

“Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of His spirit, washed in His blood.

Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior, am happy and blessed
Watching and waiting, looking above
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long”

11 thoughts on “Part 4: Chapter 3 – Day 4: Heaven’s Weaving Revealed

1. Lisa Enqvist August 23, 2021 / 7:53 pm

Beautiful! This makes me think of various “blue threads” God has woven into my life. The first was the story of my brother. I was only two when we visited the hospital in China where he was born. Stories about him were a natural part of our lives. Before I was three, I talked about going to be in heaven.
    Yesterday I heard a sermon that covered this subject of focusing on the heavenly city.
    Heb 11:15 And if their hearts were still remembering what they left behind, they would have found an opportunity to go back. 16 But they couldn’t turn back, for their hearts were fixed on what was far greater, that is, the heavenly realm! So because of this, God is not ashamed in any way to be called their God, for he has prepared a heavenly city for them.

Liked by 1 person

• Anna Smit August 23, 2021 / 8:01 pm

Love this so much, Lisa. Thank you so much for sharing those verses also. So beautiful and encouraging.

Liked by 1 person

2. Mandy Farmer August 23, 2021 / 8:22 pm

This reminds me of the poem Footprints inthe Sand

Liked by 2 people

• Anna Smit August 23, 2021 / 8:25 pm

That is a beautiful poem and so true that it connects so much to Bettie’s story.

Liked by 1 person

• Anna Smit August 24, 2021 / 12:10 am

Yes it is, isn’t it? God’s heart in Bettie and her life’s testimony is so beautiful.

Liked by 2 people

3. Sandra Hooten August 24, 2021 / 2:20 am

I am speechless. This is my story, my Nana and my beautiful sweet friend who graciously taught me the unending love of Jesus and how He truly is in every aspect of our life. There is no doubt, the Holy Spirit shared our tea times with us. I always knew how renewed and inspired I felt when we hugged good bye each afternoon, looking back, my life changed when I met Bettie and her family. I witnessed a life that I never had, and honestly, I didn’t understand. The more tea times we shared and closing prayers Bettie beautifully spoke, the more I opened my heart and accepted this gift. Bettie showed me that I was loved unconditionally by the most high. Little by little I believed it.
    What a Blessing it was for Bettie to meet my Beloved Nana, but befriended her and shared their love of Jesus in her final days. I know Nana had comfort knowing that I was in good hands with Bettie, and she was so right! God truly weaved our lives together in so many ways. I am forever thankful for Bettie. I can still here Nana singing this song in her church choir, she sang from her heart, I knew it then and I know it now. Thank you Jesus for your perfect timing and your sweet, sweet angel, Bettie 🙏❤

Liked by 2 people

• Anna Smit August 24, 2021 / 2:57 am

Oh Sandra, thank you so much for sharing. God is just so so good. Bettie is indeed such a gift from God. I am so very thankful to God for her too.

As I sat with your reply, this song came to mind: https://youtu.be/Ejv9L8V9xOE

• Bettie G August 24, 2021 / 3:38 pm

Oh. Anna, that song is perfect 🥰 such a praise to our God. Love you so much!

Liked by 1 person

• Bettie G August 24, 2021 / 3:32 pm

Oh Sandra, I echo your words to Jesus, thank You Lord for bringing Sandra into my life too. We both had no idea of the huge blessing He was going to bring to us in our sharing. Your friendship was such a gift to me at a time when I so needed to see His love. I am so very grateful that He has woven our lives together into His. Love you so much dear friend. ♥

Liked by 1 person